Applying for a passport online entails booking an appointment at the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) or passport center which is done by logging into the PSP website viz. www.passportindia.gov.in, filling and submitting the online passport application form and paying the passport fee online. Once you schedule, pay and book the passport appointment, you will have to print out the ARN receipt and visit the PSK to process your application.
The application process is long and you would still be required to go to the passport office, but you definitely do not need a third party to apply your passport online.
Here are the steps on applying for a Passport Online in India:-
- Go to the Passport Seva website.
- Click Register Now in the box titled Apply.
- Now fill the form to create an account on the Passport Seva website. You need to select the passport office of the city you’re living in now, not your native place. Also make sure that you enter the name exactly as it appears in your other documents to avoid any problems with your application. The rest of the form is pretty straightforward – it’s just like signing up for any other website..
- Click Register when done.
- Now that you’ve created your account, return to the Passport Seva website.
- Click the green Login button.
- Enter your email address and click Continue.
- Key in your email, password and the characters in the image. Click Login.
- Click Apply for Fresh Passport/Reissue of Passport.
- You can either download the form, fill it and upload it back to the website, or just fill the details online. We recommend that you fill the details online to save time.
- In case you want to download the form anyway, click Click here to download the soft copy of the form, in the first subheading on the page titled Alternative 1.
- If you want to fill the form online, click on Click here to fill the application form online under Alternative 2. We suggest you choose this option as it is the easiest way to apply for your passport.
- On the next page, you’ll have to choose between a Fresh passport or Re-issue, a Normal or Tatkal passport, 38 pages or 60 pages. Make the selections as per your requirements, and click Next page.