For studying in Australia, you need to have an Australian Student Visa. The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) must be able to project that you meet the following key Australian student visa requirements:
- Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement
- Financial requirements
- English proficiency requirements
- Health and character requirements
- What is Genuine Temporary Entrant?
GTE Requirement was issued in November 2001. According to this, the applicant applying for the Australian Visa must be able to define a genuine reason for his stay in Australia as a student or a dependent or guardian. You will be provided visa on the basis of key factors such as:-
- Your home country circumstances
- The value your chosen course has on your future
- The potential circumstances in Australia for you
- The history of your immigration
Depending upon the factors that meets your requirements, you might be asked for an interview in an Australian Embassy or may be lead directly to fill the visa application form.
- How to complete Australian Visa application Form
Before 2016, there were various types of study visas for the students depending upon the level of studies but now, the rule has been changed. Every applicant get a Student Visa( subclass 500) for studying in Australia, thus no more risks of getting any thing left out or mistakes.
You will be needing a Confirmation of Enrollment( COE) or letter of confirmation from the university that confirms that they have accepted you for a course registered under the Commonwealth Register of Institutions of Courses (CRICOS). The COE will be in the form of an online code that you will need to enter into the appropriate section in the online visa application. You will be paying the deposit of the fees beforehand.
- Australian Student Visa Requirements
You need to provide the following evidences while completing your Australian Visa form:-
- Financial Requirements- you need to show the evidence that you have sufficient funds to cover the fees of your course and for your stay as per the regulations in Australia. If someone( spouse/family) is accompanying you with the stay, you need to give prove that you will be able to support and provide for them in every manner. You can also show that your family and spouse can support you financially and they earn as per the rules and requirements.
- English Proficiency Requirements- IELTS, TOEFL iBT, Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic, and Cambridge Advanced English (CAE) are some tests you need to clear for applying to a University in Australia to specify the fact that you can converse and write in English. The scores of the tests will define further about your chances for getting visa.
- Health Requirements- for those students who wish to get themselves trained as a nurse or a doctor, you might be asked to take a medical or radiological test to specify that they are in good health and can take up a course in Australia.
- Character Requirements- Australian Visa officer requires you to show a valid proof that you do not have any kind of criminal record, so, you need to submit a legal statement from the police department stating you do not have any record of such kind.
- Necessary documents for applying an Australian Student Visa
- Completed Australian student visa application form (157A)
- Paid visa application fee
- Copy of passport biodata page (some students may be asked to physically provide their passport)
- Certificate of Enrollment or Letter of Offer
- Evidence of sufficient funds
- Evidence of health insurance cover
- English proficiency test results
- Criminal record check results
- Four recent passport-sized photographs
After you have assembled and scanned your supporting documents, you’ll need to create an account and apply with the online ‘ImmiAccount’ application system and wait for the Visa to arrive. It generally takes 4-6 weeks for Visa approval.