For studying in Canada, you need to have a Canadian Study Permit which will act as the Canadian student Visa for the duration of your stay. No Canadian student Permit is required if the duration of your course in less than 6 months. Though it’s best to have that so that you will be able to apply for further courses and won’t have to come back for applying the same once again.
If you have a study permit for Canada, you can apply for further studies there only and do not have to come back to your native state. Some of the universities also allow full time students to work part time for the duration of your stay here. Once you have completed your course, you can apply for a job or permanent residence in the Country also.
How to apply for a Canadian Student Permit?
You can apply for a Canadian study permit either online or through a paper application, which can be obtained from the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website. The paper process is usually long and takes up your time while applying online is more convenient. You will have to confirm about the specific documents and instructions before applying online from the Visa Application Centre(VAC).
The process is as follows:-
- First of all you need to obtain standardized Letter of Acceptance from a designated university in Canada. You need this letter for applying for a study permit. You can get this online and get a photocopy of it for showing to the Visa officers.
- The next step is to get A Canadian Student Visa application package from the CIC website or by contacting your local visa office, or the Canadian embassy or consulate in your home country.
- The CIC website will be asking you certain questions about your background or anything relevant before allowing you the application package. These questions will give them an insight whether they should grant you the visa application or not.
- You will receive a personal checklist code, if they find you eligible for applying for the visa. The code will remain valid for 60 days only and you will need that code to submit your application online. Make sure to get a print out of the code for future reference as it will include an application guide, an estimated tuition fees amount, a list of documents you will need to submit with your application, and guidelines for your next steps.
- Create MyCIC account when you are ready to apply for visa and make sure to enter your personal checklist code there.You will then receive your personal document checklist which allows you to upload and send your documents to CIC.
- Once all your necessary documents and fees are ready, you can submit your complete application at the CIC.
- You will get your approval after submitting your application some time within a month or so and some of you might have to appear for interviews at the visa office too.