If you can dream it, you can do it. This is not the motto every single being on the planet works upon. Getting an education is very crucial but does a simple degree or diploma define what you wish to become? I think not. Education is just a mere step in the ladder of success and judging by the so-called success Bill gates have, being one of college dropouts, I think what’s important is you have your goals and priorities set and work towards it. Educated or not doesn’t matter. What matters is that at the end everything was worth it.
Getting a higher education is most of the times the only way to succeed in this world but for those who think out of the box and wishes to drop out of the college and pursue their own passion, the game isn’t over yet.
You can be your own brand with or without graduation, you just need to have what it takes to be successful without the so-called mere piece of paper that defines what you can and cannot do.
For the college students who wish to drop out and pursue their own career path, there is a scholarship that can fund them $1,00,000 granT as a startup for redefining themselves as the best entrepreneur of the century.
This scholarship is called “ PETER THIEL’S FELLOWSHIP”
The Thiel fellowship is a two-year program founded by technology entrepreneur and investor Peter Thiel in 2011 that provides young people a platform to start up their own business or paths that can make them super successful in future. Thiel Fellows skip or stop out of college to receive a $100,000 grant and support from the Thiel Foundation’s network of founders, investors, and scientists.
What exactly makes them different?
1. The fellowship doesn’t take any ownership stake in your project. The money grant of $1,00,000 you got is only yours and you can use it anywhere as long as you are working.
2. They help you build your own team from programmers to salespeople. They understand the fact that no one can build a team on its own. The additional in-house expertise in every engineering or mechanical problem you face is a nice perk.
3. You will be surrounded with people of your intellect and capabilities only. The whole team consists of college dropouts that wish to carve their own niche. You will be among peers that understand where you are coming from.
4. They help you with establishing a connection with the investors from the start so that you can get proper funding for all the things you require to do.
5. It is entirely nonexclusive. The Fellowship isn’t an incubator or accelerator, so it’s complementary to any other program that fits your project.
6. Guest speakers, meetings, books and much more, there are many things you can learn from and they help you to do so.
Some of the many famous fellows of the Peter Thiel Fellowship that made a world for themselves with their help and are worth millions today are:-
1. Ritesh Agarwal
Ritesh is founder and CEO of OYO Rooms, which brings together India’s largest network of hotels for affordable and standardized stay experiences. Ritesh recently closed a $100M Series B round, led by Softbank.
2. Ritik Malhotra
Ritik founded Streem, which let people access their files remotely with no lag or sync time. Streem was acquired by Box in June 2014.
3. Paul Gu
Paul co-founded Upstart, an online lending platform that uses data to bring together high potential borrowers and investors. Upstart has raised $53M from Google Ventures, Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, First Round Capital, and Eric Schmidt.
4. Ari Weinstein, Conrad Kramer
Ari and Conrad created Workflow, an automation app that lets you combine everyday actions to create powerful workflows on your mobile device. Workflow won a 2015 Apple Design Award and was acquired by Apple in 2016.
Are you one of college dropouts? Read more to know to earn while you are learning and become a successful college dropouts.